2.28.2011

The King's Speech and Its Wallpaper


Congratulations to The King's Speech! If you haven't heard, last night at the Academy Awards it took home best picture, along with best director, best male actor, and best screenplay.  Truly one of the "best" films to come out this year.  When I went to see it a few weeks ago I was struck by many things.  Besides the wonderful story and acting I was drawn to the brilliant set design.  If any of you are like me, when I watch a film my eyes often wander to an actor's surroundings.  Sometimes to the point of distraction.  And in this instance, I couldn't help but be mesmerized by the wonderful wallpaper treatments throughout the movie.  

The speech therapist's office has a beautifully done paper-tear-down treatment.  Much like if you applied hundreds of posters to a wall and then tore them down (hence the name). 


To compliment the textured wall they surrounded it with a beautiful and sophisticated palette of burnt orange and green with dark trim.  


Inside the therapist's home the theme continues with graphic, art deco-style wallpaper.  This pattern reminds me of something wallpaper designer Florence Broadhurst would create. Check out some of her work HERE.


Even in the final scene, the designer chose a graphic red print fabric to drape inside of the recording room.  It would be interesting to hear from the production designer about what color story she wanted to tell and why.  I might have to wait for the DVD on that one.


The real Duke of York with similarly fantastic wallpaper in the background.  This photo makes me wonder what color it must have been.


5 comments:

  1. Fav post so far! I like the Florence Broadhurst wallpaper, but I'll need almost 3 double rolls, or $1000 for one small wall. Aw, hell no.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should check out Astek Wallcovering in Van Nuys. They have a lot of different options. It's also where a lot of film and television set dressers go, including Mad Men.

    http://www.astekwallcovering.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have any photos of the blue and white decor of the Duke's home. I loved it and can't find any photos anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Cathy, couldn't find images anywhere either. Good luck in your search and let me know if you find anything. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I googled "Kings Speech" wallpaper green, to find out about the the therapists office treatment. Thank you for explaining its name, sounds like a time soak, but an interesting technique for the movies!

    ReplyDelete